December 18, 2006

Welcome back USDA!

I guess I ought to be flattered that the USDA in Ft. Collins, CO (a mighty fine town, I might add) has someone coming here to my blog with some regularity. Aren't there more important things to do? Shouldn't they be trying to figure out how to change the Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO) so that the animals can be fed as nature intended - on grass. Corn isn't natural for cows to eat. It throws off the ph of their rumins which ruins their ability to fend off bacteria, which is why beef cattle in feedlots have to be fed antibiotics.

Why can't people connect the dots between industrialized animal production and the rise in obesity and other diseases?

Which reminds me. If you haven't read Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Polan, you should, especially if you are interested in food. He follows three food chains, which turn out to be four; industrialized (this is where I learned how corn, subsidized to the hilt, is the underpinning of the global economy), organic (he follows a Whole Foods Market organic-but-not-local-meal and then follows a meal grown at Polyface Farm, a grass farm in Virginia) and finally, a hunter gatherer meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but I usually get to them in a few hours.