December 24, 2009

Peace on Earth - the Divine Reality of the Christmas Story.

Who do you think Jesus really was? A humanitarian? A philanthropist? A social activist? A jazzed up carpenter? (Thanks to Allistiar Begg for putting it that way.)

Christmas cards are abound with the phrase Peace on Earth. What do you think that means?

Luke 2:13 says:
"Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."
Now, I am no bible scholar, that is for sure, but I am saved, born-again into Christ. I was not always that way. It took a very long time for me to come to that place, so it is out of experience that I feel qualified to make this explanation about what Peace means.

We are all sinners...all...you've heard me say that before on this blog. Not a one of us isn't a sinner. The 10 Commandments, I'm sure you have read them. Have you not ever broken one of those? If you are like other people you will immediately say, "Well, I've never killed anyone." You have, you know, when you think murderous thoughts about someone; your wife or husband, your mother-in-law, your boss, that snooty department secretary, the guy who cut you off on your commute to work, or, lately, those right-wingers like me who don't want anything to do with ObamaCare.

A few years ago my own mother told me she never told a lie in her life. "You just lied right there, Mom," I told her. There are no perfect people. Not even me...heh. But I've got something she doesn't. Forgiveness.

How does this tie in with Peace on Earth, you ask. God came to earth in the form of man, peace was born in that child. He was perfect in every way, and he went through all of our trials and struggles while he was here. By his own choice, he suffered being beaten beyond recognition and then nailed on a cross. At that moment he took on all the sins of the world, yours and mine, just so that we could be reconciled to God. All God has ever wanted is to have a relationship with us.

The good news is this: when you accept it and ask Jesus to come into your life you can experience Peace, the peace of Jesus, told by those angels, is brought into your heart. When you are in right relationship with God, you then live in the Kingdom of God, which is here now for those who believe.


You need to hear the story of Christ, whoever you are. Don't balk at it. There is only one way to get to the Peace on Earth that the peaceniks talk about. Accept Jesus, tell the Good News to Jews and Gentiles alike, and when the whole world knows then Jesus will return and begin the next phase with a new earth and a new heaven.

Don't take my word for it. Ask Him yourself. He will answer you. If you need some help with that, let me know.

Merry Christmas, friends. I pray God's blessing upon you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but I usually get to them in a few hours.