Now the USDA, standing behind the apron of Congress to make NAIS happen even though they hear the message that we, the people do not want it, has invoked Dept. of Homeland Security to shake their big stick to make it seem more serious.
And, they conveniently pulled in the Swine Flu/H1N1 scare:
“The emergence of new viruses further demonstrates our need to not only be prepared to react to disease outbreaks, but to also undertake the necessary mitigation and research efforts that allow us to stay one step ahead,” said Committee on Homeland Security Chairman Bennie G. Thompson of Mississippi."
USDA/APHIS continues with it's intentional misinformation "Clifford says that while a strong infrastructure is in place for NAIS, with only 35% participation, the effectiveness of the program is hampered. There has been pressure to make the program mandatory and Clifford said that all available options need to be studied with stakeholders before any decision is made." The number is more along the lines of 9%.
Read this article to understand the truth behind the misinformation.
Tuesday, May 5 – 200 p.m.
Subcommittee on Livestock, Dairy, and Poultry —Joint Public Hearing with the Committee on Homeland Security’s Subcommittee on Emerging Threats, Cybersecurity, and Science and Technology.
RE: To review the National Animal Identification System.
- Dr. John R. Clifford, Deputy Administrator for Veterinary Services, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.
- Dr. Thomas McGinn, Chief Veterinarian, Office of Health Affairs, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C.
- Dr. David C. Smith, Assistant Director, Division of Animal Industry, New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, Albany, New York
- Dr. Jerry R. Gillespie, Former Director of Western Institute for Food Safety and Security, University of California, Davis, Hopland, California
- Mr. Kevin M. Kirk, Special Assistant to the Division Director, Michigan Department of Agriculture, Animal Industry Division, Lansing, Michigan